James 3: 1-12For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
- Practice of prayer: We must learn how to open our heart to God in prayer. Not communication in your life is more important than communication with God.When we improve our prayer, automatically we also improve our lives.· God invites you to talk to Him as He wants to talk to you. One thing we must know that we, as sinners cannot talk to God without Jesus. The only to the Father is through the Son. We have access to God 365 days - and this is reality because of what Jesus did on the cross. ·
Jeremiah 33:3 - Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’ ·
Matthew 7:7-8 - Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
Hebrews 4: 14-16- Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
- Prayer is relationship experience - is not a religious duty: many people fail to pray because they think is more than duty rather than a privilege.
Revelation 3: 20 - Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
- Prayer is therapeutic: therapy brings healing-curative- restorative.
Psalms 62: 8 - Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. · Be careful of who you talk to: Don’t go around telling people about your problems ·
Jeremiah 30:17 - For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the LORD, because they have called you an outcast: ‘It is Zion, for whom no one cares!’
- Prayer changes you: the most important thing to change in our lives in the inner man (You)
Luke 18:10-14 New International Version (NIV)10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people - robbers, evildoers, adulterers - or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ 14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God.For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
- Prayer changes situation: Not only prayer changes you - but also prayer changes things or situation - the surrounding - the environment where are living in.
Acts 12: 5-7 - Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church. And when Herod was about to bring him out, that night Peter was sleeping, bound with two chains between two soldiers; and the guards before the door were keeping the prison. Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, “Arise quickly!” And his chains fell off his hands.
- Prayer is simple: Prayer is simple as a prayer of a child can bring heaven to earth. God made prayer very simple because he wanted relationship
Matthew 6: 5 - 15“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.“Therefore, do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
Take this as a pattern when you pray:
- Adoration: everyday life⁃
- Confession: get things right with God - be real about your imperfection⁃
- Thanksgiving: It doesn’t matter what you are experiencing in your life - thank God - thank God⁃
- Supplication: praying for other things, work, family,